CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP YEAR (CFY) OPPORTUNITY
West Palm Beach Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Position begins: Summer 2021
Deadline for Applications: Friday, February 5, 2021
The West Palm Beach VA Medical Center is a dynamic hospital comprised of 180 hospital beds (Intensive Care, Acute Medicine, Blind Rehabilitation and Psychiatric Health) as well as 120 Community Living Center (CLC) beds and a dedicated Hospice Unit. The WPB VAMC serves as a Polytrauma Clinic Support Team (Level III). In addition, we provide comprehensive telemedicine and homecare services to veterans in the community. Veterans also participate in treatment and support groups facilitated by the speech-language pathologists focusing on Parkinson’s Disease, Post-CVA Communication Skills, and Laryngectomy.
The Clinical Fellow will engage in a professionally challenging year gaining experience in evaluation and evidence based treatment of adults with dysphagia, cognitive-communication impairments, aphasia, dysarthria and voice disorders. The candidate will also develop skills in fluoroscopic and endoscopic swallow evaluations, endoscopic voice evaluations, and post- laryngectomy voice restoration. In addition, the Clinical Fellow will receive training in assistive technology (AAC) for augmenting communication and cognition. We also work closely with the OEF/OIF/OND population, addressing their speech, language, and cognitive concerns. Veterans are seen along the continuum of care, including ER admission, intensive/acute care, short-term rehabilitation, long-term care, outpatient and telemedicine rehabilitation. Our Speech-Language Pathology section maintains close interaction with a variety of specialty services, including Audiology, Otolaryngology, Radiology, Neurology, Psychology, Social Work, Pulmonary Medicine, Neuropsychology, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Nutrition & Food Service, Blind Rehabilitation, and Prosthetics & Sensory Aid Service. In addition, the Speech-Language Pathologists coordinate the Comprehensive ALS Interdisciplinary Team at our facility.
We are seeking applicants with a strong interest in adult medical speech-language pathology and internship experience in the acute care medical setting. The candidate must possess the ability to learn in a fast paced clinical environment.
▪ The CF position is twelve months to begin Summer 2021.
▪ 40 hours per week (Monday-Friday) with a compensation package that includes a stipend of $41,993.00 plus medical and leave benefits.
▪ This is a temporary appointment without potential to become a permanent position.
▪ Only US citizens are eligible to apply.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING:
Please submit the following in a single scanned PDF File via e-mail to: Ann.Wick@va.gov
2. Letter of interest describing your background, professional interests and why you would like to complete your CFY in the VA.
3. Names and Contact Information of 2 references from clinical supervisors.
4. Graduate program transcript (may be unofficial).
5. CFY Candidacy Experience Document.
Application e-mail must be received by 2/5/2021.
▪ Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
▪ The anticipated timeframe to begin virtual interviews is February 2021.