Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital
2020-2021 Clinical Fellowship in Medical Speech-Language Pathology Deadline for applications: Friday, February 14, 2020
The South Texas Veterans Health Care System Speech-Language Pathology section is pleased to announce one Clinical Fellowship opportunity for 2020-2021. The goal of the Clinical Fellowship is to provide experience in the Speech-Language Pathology scope of practice along a broad continuum of care. This position is a temporary appointment not to exceed one year.
The Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital, a level 1A – high complexity facility, is the primary training site and will offer the clinical fellow experience in evaluation and treatment of cognitive communication, language, motor speech, swallowing, and voice disorders. In addition to outpatient clinics and acute inpatient care, the fellow will rotate through the following specialized areas: Polytrauma Rehabilitation Center, Polytrauma Transitional Rehabilitation Program,
Home-Based Primary Care, and the Community Living Center. Training will include:
• Fluoroscopic swallow evaluations
• Endoscopic swallow evaluations
• Stroboscopic voice evaluations
• Post-laryngectomy voice restoration
• ALS multidisciplinary clinic
• Transgender voice therapy
• Head and neck cancer clinic
• Group treatment for aphasia, Parkinson’s, transgender voice
• Evaluation and treatment of patients with disorders of consciousness
• Evaluation and training for use of assistive technology
• Palliative care and hospice
The clinical fellow will also have the opportunity to focus their training in one of two specialty areas:
1. Neurocognitive Communication Disorders
2. Voice and Swallow Multidisciplinary Laryngology Clinic
San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the United States, but is known for its feel as a "big, small town." Housing is very affordable, and schools are excellent. San Antonio is known for being the home of the Alamo, River Walk, Sea World, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. The city is two hours from Texas beaches, one from Austin, the live music capitol of the world, and is home of five-time NBA Champions, the San Antonio Spurs.
Instructions for applying:
- Only U.S. citizens are eligible to apply
- Please submit a résumé, letter of intent, and 3 letters of recommendation in a single PDF document by 2/14/2020.
*Please label PDF as follows: Last Name, First Initial (e.g. Palmer, N)
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Please send documents electronically via email in a single PDF document format. However, letters of recommendation
will also be accepted if sent separately by email or postal mail (must be postmarked on or prior to Friday, February 14, 2020). Email and postal mail addresses as follows:
Speech-Language Pathology MS126 ATTN: South Texas Veterans Health Care System 7400 Merton Minter Blvd
San Antonio, TX 78229
Email: Nicole.Barnes@va.gov and Jenna.Mackenzie@va.gov